Nice to meet you

Nice to meet you
Hi, I'm Sarah!
8.7.11

Cars from the past

A family friend has recently... well he completely buggered up his car. He managed to sell it on though, and tonight we were browsing the internet for a new one. Naturally, my taste in cars differs a little from his boy racer 'Citroen Saxo' ideal, and I managed to stumble across these little gems.




This great first find is a rare Cadillac from the late 40's. Despite its first impression of being slightly blingy, I fell in love with this car easily. This particular model has only done 45,000 miles since '49, and I can imagine that it is itching to be driven.
Not only is it a beautiful car, but it's oozing with history. The Cadillac took over from the Model T Ford as car ownership sky rocketed alongside suburban life in the early 50's (much to Henry Ford's dismay), and it must be said, Cadillac produced some fantastic results.
I could pour on about this car all day, but I won't. Not only am I slightly too young to drive, but I'm too poor for this model. Wait for it... £45,000. That's a pound per mile! That might seem like pennies for a coupe, especially when you compare it to a coupe like the beautiful Audi R8 at almost £125,000; but for a student with a self-consuming bank balance, anything which costs more than the price of a bag of chips is too expensive.
Don't worry; I'm not going to leave you on that depressing note. I went on looking and found my way to some Volkswagens; rejoice! 



I have always wanted a camper van. Quite a few of my school friends owned a camper van, and I even know one kid that rebuilt a camper with his Dad.  In my opinion, a camper van makes the perfect addition to any trip. And if you're going to get a camper van, why not get an original one which has seen it all; gotten a little bit of character along the way?
This magnificent specimen has made it's way from the sixties, and has stayed in a fabulous condition. Although I would go for a more typically 'sixties' colour if I were to actually buy a Camper, the body work on this is amazing. After spending its entire life in a lonely garage having never been driven, this '66 camper was restored by the owner's family in 2001. The price of this one's pretty steep too: £14,850.00! And on top of that, it's left hand drive. Well there goes another dream. But panic not! I've got one more fab find to show you.




That's right, another classic car: the 1968 VW Beetle. It's cute, sassy and has the      biggest vintage attitude you could ask for. Late 60's to early 70's, the Beetle - or bug as some people have nicknamed it - was synonymous with the Flower Power movement.  If it didn't have enough of a status from the movement, we all remember Herbie in 1973. The film gave the car more of a life (literally) than ever before.  For me, this car is the ultimate sixties/ seventies style icon as far as motoring is concerned. I'd kill to own one of these, but unfortunately this one is only for hire. And even if it wasn't, it would burn a hole in my pocket and carry on burning the rest of my trousers!

I was stunned to find all of these cars on eBay, but even more stunned to find that they were originals from the time periods. If I was a rich girl, you could forget Pimp my Ride, I'd have a garage full of old collectibles!

2 comments:

Leisa said...

You certainly have some penchant for vintage cars, Titch! And these classic autos are awesome! There is something captivating about vintage cars. Some of them are past their prime, but time never mars their appeal and beauty. If given a chance, I will purchase one of these and restore it to its former glory. [Leisa Dreps]

Titch said...

Thanks Lisa! It is my absolute dream to own a vintage car and here in England, if your car was made in the 60s or earlier (I think) then you pay no road tax. I suppose it's just the price and maintenance stopping people!